Book Review – Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama

Monstrous Beauty - Elizabeth Fama

Book Review

Monstrous Beauty is a dark and twisted concoction of myth, curses, history, and murder. It is a piercing story about a mermaid who longs to love and a young girl who has discarded any hope of it. Fierce, seductive mermaid Syrenka falls in love with Ezra, a young naturalist. When she abandons her life underwater for a chance at happiness on land, she is unaware that this decision comes with horrific and deadly consequences. For generations, love has resulted in death for the women in Hester’s family. Is it an undiagnosed genetic defect . . . or a curse?

My friend literally threw this at me once she had finished and demanded that I read it, so like a good friend I did. This was the first mermaid based book I had read and I have to say I did enjoy it. It is told from two points in time and links the past and present together perfectly. I loved the characters and the story line, but was a little disappointed with the ending. I felt it was a little rushed, although it wrapped up the plot nicely, I felt it could have gone a bit further. Even if it was a little bit after to show us were Hester ended up, maybe married to Peter with kids, just to show that it all worked out well for them.

All in all I loved this book, and will defiantly be picking up some more mermaid books in the future.

Rating- 4/5